Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Note to self, civility is dead.

Today has not been stellar. I have had the worst commute home ever. This ranks right up there with the ice storm of 97. That was a very cold day. I vowed never to work in DC ever again.

On Wednesday eve, I left McPherson Square and ventured onto the Blue Line. I was aghast at the number of people squeezed onto the trains. No problem.

More people come on at Farragut West. OK. Things are a little tight, but I can still breathe.

OK, at GW/Foggy Bottom, all hell breaks loose. I am stuck in a corner and can go no further back on the train. There is a group of three people, one is in a wheel chair, and they are sitting in the reserved area. I am the closest person near them. There is no way to get past them. A bunch of people get onto the train. This lady tries to squeeze past me. I tell her I can't move there is a person in a wheel chair right behind me. I tell her there is no space to get past. She says EXCUSE ME. I tell her NO, you can't get past without hopping over the person in the wheelchair's legs. She says she is going to do it anyway. I told her that "You are RUDE!." She hops over. I am dismayed. My fellow trainmates are digusted as well. One person says that people will do anything. I agree. For the next 15 minutes I hear this person complain about rude people on trains.

I am really really dismayed at the lack of civility on Metro. If I had one of my hospitality pineapples I would have hit her in the ole noggin. Death be a pineapple tonight!

No comments: