Saturday, December 27, 2008

Eat fish, not Whales

I am watching a new show on Animal Planet called Whale Wars. Wow, the crew on the Sea Shepard are absolutely nutto extremists. And extremists of any stripe scare me!
I am anti-whaling but I don't agree with the methods of this group at all. I just wish that they would let the Australian government handle this.

So I watch about 8 episodes of Whale Wars and am absolutely stunned that Animal Planet is actually filming this. Here is why I don't like the show.

1. I see the same 5-6 dead whales every episode. The show is starting to feel a lot like thinly veiled propoganda. Have they saved any whales?

2. The Captain is putting his crew in danger.
Untrained crew are trying to put zodiac boats in rough water, launch, and try to board another vessel. This is very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

3. The Sea Shepard is engaging in piracy. They are throwing rancid butter bombs at another ship and trying to board them.

4. They are operating a ship in Antarctic waters and it can't handle ice. Wow! If ice breached their hull, they might sink!

I think what Japan whaling is awful. If I had the money, I would buy all the companies that engage in whaling and put a stop to it. It can't be that difficult to switch to commerical fishing. I wish some environmentalists would consider peaceful means to achieving their goals, rather then extreme actions.

No comments: