Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Arithmetic for PhDs

It is scary to think about, but sometimes at work I have to answer e-mails from the public. I like to think of myself as Santa Claus, the Economist. If you are nice, I will go out of my way to help you. If you are naughty, well, god help you. Just kidding, let's just say I don't help you as much.

I had to respond to a customer who sent a very curt e-mail. I told him we don't have the data but try this place and sent him some links. He wrote back immediately and said he couldn't find it still. No thanks or anything, just really a curt response back. I politely told him to try the link again and add the numbers together. Yes, a someone who has a doctorate in science couldn't figure out how to add together a couple rows of data on a web page I sent. Oh shame shame lazy academic!

No comments: