Monday, April 14, 2008

Highly concentrated Catholics

Well we can all breathe a sigh of relief. The cherry blossom crowd dispated. Tomorrow I will face the Papal visit crowds. Every week there is some sort of event in DC. Lots of reasons to be late for work! Thanks tourists! You give me a valid excuse to be reasonably late!

I have never experienced such a large number of Roman Catholics in the DC area. I have to say my least favorite crowd event was the the IMF-World Bank protestors about 10 years ago. Those people were awful. They looked like hippies and they threw things. I had the misfortune to be near them due to circumstance, a Foreign Service exam, in a building smack in the middle of the protest zone. I found out after trudging around the action from the Security Guard that the State Department canceled my interview for that day. Geez, don't they have phones at the State Department? I broke into tears! I obviously did not get in the Foreign Service or any bonus points for showing up in medias res of a protest.

At this point in life I am really glad I don't work for them. I really wouldn't want to work in some Third World hell-hole. No, I get to work in DC. I like to refer to DC at the fourth circle of Hell.

No comments: