Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Fat Bums don't need change

I never give change to bums. I think most of them are druggies, alcoholics, and/or crazy. Basically, I don't want to deal with them.

They basically engage in economic warfare with each other. They each have a corner and work at certain times of day. One guy times it to coincide with morning and evening rush hour at McPherson Square. I see the same bums every day working the same corner. They are actually quite industrious.

So I am not going to give them change or incentive to hang out and bother me every day. This summer, I saw one of the regulars shoo away a new lady begger. Geez, that was terrible in alot of ways. That lady was using her kid as a prop to beg for change.

In DC, the homeless have alot of services like food, medical care, and even a place to stay if they are so inclined. It isn't bum nirvana, but their needs are met. I am not a heartless Republican ogre....well yeah kind of. I am just amused that bums negotiate their trade just like CEOs. Protect your turf, eradicate your opponents, and maintain profit share.

No comments: