Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Economics of Stuff

I have too much stuff. I just dropped three bags of stuff at the Goodwill and made a U-Turn on a very busy street to go right back in and get different stuff. I don't understand why one bag of stuff is better than the stuff I just dropped off.

Oh I know why! It is the thrill of the hunt! I can buy hardback books for $2 and paperbacks for $1. It is the complete randomness of the stuff that fascinates me. Sometimes the stuff is good and sometimes it is just trash. This week, I bought a Burberry Trench Coat for $35 dollars! I have always wanted a Burberry Raincoat but I never wanted to spend a thousand dollars for the privilege.

Also I love the fact that I have to keep an eye on my cart or someone will actually try and run-off with my hand selected used items. People circle like sharks! I am not afraid to say "Hey, that's my stuff!" and they usually slink away. I have only observed this behavior at Costco. People ruthless steal cart and run off with your stuff there too. It is amazing how crazy people get when you get between them and their rotisserie chickens.

No comments: