Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Liar liar pants on fire

There has been much ado about the whole James Frey "A Million Little Pieces" scandal.

In case you haven't heard, the Smoking Gun website published a little article regarding the factual accuracy of Mr. Frey's autobiography. See here: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0104061jamesfrey1.html

Well, isn't this a kerfluffle. Imagine that, a former alcoholic and drug addict lying! Why is everybody surprised? I mean, James Frey and friends think lobster and steak are haute cuisine. Is Mr. Frey a liar or just guilty of bad taste?

I read the book and thouroughly enjoyed it. I really had to suspend belief about many passages though. I am not surprised that he took some artistic liberties. I am surprised by all the media outrage and the nasty reviews on Amazon.com. It must be a slow news day.

Larry King asked James Frey what would Oprah think? Is this question for real??? WWOT. OK Larry, Oprah is not a religous figure; she is a media mogul. And Mr. King, don't inflame the Oprahites, I'm afraid what they might do to my fav Borders. They better not ransack the bookstores and interfere with me getting my next Rachel Ray book!

Mr Frey, I think you should fess up and admit you lied. I think it would be more admirable than all the backpedaling you are doing now.

No comments: